Here's what's collected by visiting this website:
- IP (Internet Protocol) address: to group the correct log entries to the visitor per session.
- Browser user agent: the information sent via http protocol that contains browser software, operating system, language, hostname and smaller bits of application information if available. This is used to diagnose website issues specific to a certain web browser if issues can be tied to the logs.
- Referrer: the URL a visitor came from via a link. This is used to route the path a visitor takes to diagnose website issues and to improve website usability and optimization.
Here's what Google Analytics collect by visiting this website:
Same thing as above (as far as I know) but they do it better. This is used to generate reports and tailored collection of data from user interaction and website traffic. It is used to inform me what's working and not working, what gets a lot of traffic and what doesn't in terms of content. It helps me make decisions in an effort to improve the website for better interaction, usability, content and experience.
Here is what can be ascertained with Analytics:
IP address, which internet browser software you use, which operating system you use, which language your operating system is set to, which country based on IP address and browser user agent, which state and/or city based on IP address, referrer urls and/or search engine terms used to get to the website, service provider based on IP address and/or browser user agent, screen resolution, whether you are a new user or returning user based on cookies.
Here are the cookies this website attempts to set:
- Session cookies: These are used to ensure certain correct functionality of the website. They are used to remember the gallery order either by default or set by the visitor, and used to remember the content filter either by default or set by the visitor. Since these are session cookies, only an identifying ID of random characters in the cookie is stored on your computer which allows the server to match the ID to the session information on the server. They are usually not retained and usually removed from your computer when the browser is closed.
- Cookie cookies: These are the typical browser cookies you hear about the most. These are usually stored on your computer for a set amount of time even after you close the browser. The cookies this website attempts to set is used to remember the content filter setting if you choose to change it. It usually last 30 days. This is not set by default and only set unless you change the content filter settings at all.
- Google cookies: These are used to track visitors for Analytics. They usually last months to a year or two. I believe it lasts this long to track returning visitors to the website.
These cookies (or persistent identifiers) are used to ensure correct website functionality, improve website usability and experience, to diagnose issues with functionality and to support internal operations. Even though some organizations regard cookies as personal information no matter what information is stored in them, no actual personal information, such as the information that can be used to identify you as a person (name, real world identification) and specific location (street level), is collected or stored.
To the knowledge of the website operator, no personal information is collected from the user without their knowledge and willing consent. Registration is not required in order to use or view the content of the website. Any personal information collected that was not intended to be collected will be deleted and the mechanism involved in its unintended collection will be rectified immediately to avoid future collection.
C O P P A:
This website and its content is not intended for children under 13 years old. This website does not market and does not provide online services to children under 13 years old. To the knowledge of the website operator, no personal information is collected from children under 13 years old. Any information collected for the functionality of the website can not specifically identify a user by age or their personal information.
Can I block/prevent all this?
Yes, you can. You can use a VPN, you can use an extension or plugin to change your browser user agent, you can set your browser to not allow cookies to be set, you can choose not to enter and submit information you do not want to disclose.
What can happen if I do?
Certain things will not work correctly if you block cookies. Gallery order may not work, the content filter will reset everytime you load a page. Other than that, inaccurate information mentioned on the left or above will be logged or none at all.